Targeted Previews

Side Bar: Targeted Movie Previews


On 7 February 2006, I saw the film, Something New, with my mother. I commented to her after the film, that I was very disturbed by the movie previews that were shown before the movie. I thought the there was some prejudice involved in their particular selection. The films previewed were Phat Girlz, ATL, and 16 Blocks. Last night, I saw Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Family Reunion and the previews were: Phat Girlz, ATL, Little Man, and 16 Blocks. If you do a little research at www.imdb.com, you will probably notice the same disturbing trend that I noticed. These previews, in my humble opinion, were selected by someone, to whom I mean no disrespect, that must have felt that these previews were of films that would appeal to the ‘type’ of people in the audience for these two films, Something New and Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Family Reunion. I guess, in some ways, this in nothing new. I’ve always noticed more comedic previews preceding a comedy film, more dramatic previews preceding a dramatic film, more animated previews preceding an animated film; and, certainly, more independent film previews preceding an independent film. It has never occurred to me before, however, that preview selection before films might be particularly racially targeted. Have I been asleep on this? Was Eddie Murphy’s Coming to America primarily targeted to African American viewers? Has it always been this way? Well, if it has, it is wrong, and if it’s new, it needs to stop right way. I scanned the audience last night at Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Family Reunion. You know what? It was an entirely monochromatic group—all white. And, yes, I loved seeing the previews they showed. I am excited to see every one of the films. I think Mo’nique is hilarious. I strongly dislike the title Phat Girlz, for the film, but I can deal with it. What I cannot deal with is the idea that somebody is deciding which previews to show an audience based on some racial profiles they have as to which movies a certain race is more likely to be drawn. That is flat out wrong. The preview for Phat Girlz and Little Man should be shown before any comedy films currently playing in theatres. Likewise ATL and 16 Blocks should be shown before any dramas. Nobody should be deciding to show previews based on whom they feel, racially or religiously, will be in the audience. Doing so is blatantly discriminatory. I would urge theatre chains and film distributors to make a conscious effort to explore this practice and put an end to it.

No comments: