16 Blocks



Click Poster to Purchase


Review #52 of 365
Film: 16 Blocks [PG-13] 105 minutes
WIP: $12.50
When 1st Seen: 3 March 2006
Where Viewed: Metropolitan Metrolux 14, Loveland, CO
Time: 9:30 p.m.
Review Dedicated to: Zach H. of Faribault, MN

purchase
DVD



Die hard Bruce Willis fans, one thing is for sure, “Bad Bruce is back!” Here’s my chronology, and it will, perhaps date me a bit, however I must admit that I first became a huge Bruce Willis fan when he played super cool detective, David Addison opposite Cybill Shepherd’s Maddie Hayes. Three years later, however, Bruce Willis was elevated to status as one of my favorite actors in one of my favorite action thrillers of all time, Die Hard. He has never quite replicated the pure adrenaline human becomes bare foot super hero of Jack McClane in Die Hard. Don’t get me wrong, he was amazing in The Sixth Sense which, for those of you who keep asking, is still my favorite movie of all time., but there he played a somewhat milk toast child psychologist. Well, after some of my less than favorite films from the past few years let alone some of my least favorite roles for him, as I said, “Bruce is back.” This time, in 16 Blocks (which has a super cool movie poster if you ask me) Mr. Willis plays a real down on his luck NYPD officer (Jack Mosley) who seemingly has little in life for which to live and, in fact, says at one point, “I think life is too long, and guys like you make it longer.” That nugget sums up his current outlook on life when, after pulling a long night shift, he is given a morning assignment to transport a prisoner in protective custody 16 blocks to testify in front of a grand jury. His prisoner is Eddie Bunker, played by the eclectic Mos Def. Eddie is a criminal with a rap sheet as long as his personality and speech pattern are annoying. Fortunately for Eddie, he has witnessed some bad cop behavior that the Asst. District Attorney has deemed invaluable to her case if only he can testify by 10:00 am prior to the dissolution of the Grand Jury and the summary dismissal of the case. As it happens, the bad cops want to make sure that Eddie does not arrive in court, and Jack Mosley comes out of his self-induced retirement and virtual catatonic existence to get Eddie safely to his destination. All that happens next is pure, non-stop, thrilling entertainment, the kind we haven’t seen since the Lethal Weapon (also directed by 16 Blocks Director Richard Donner) films. Watching Mr. Willis as the film progressed was a bit like watching Bob Parr put back on his Mr. Incredible suit for one more turn as a the super hero he used to be. Slowly but surely, we see shades of Jack McClane emerge. We see the passion and excitement for his job as well as the zeal to do the right thing bubble to the surface. In other words, we see the former version Bruce Willis, the one that made me watch Die Hard so many times, I finally wore out the video tape—fortunately, my brother gave me the DVD Die Hard trilogy set to end my withdrawal. David Morse, who will always be Dr. Jack 'Boomer' Morrison from the awesome television series “St. Elsewhere” to me, plays Jack’s former partner of 20 years and the chief antagonist of the film. I never like seeing him play a villain, though I know actors love to put the shoe on the other foot. He was great in this role, however, as were all of the supporting cast members. Richard Donner has done an excellent job with the film in creating an action thriller with very little gore and destruction while preserving some of the small touches that made for a bit of a sentimental ending. I do not say this often, but I sincerely hope they do make a sequel to this film. I would love to see Mosely and Bunker go to Hollywood. All in all, skillful direction, dramatic tension, wonderful performances from Mr. Willis and Mr. Def, and a script with all the right stuff: humor, drama, action, surprises, and fun, 16 Blocks is a blast.

Find your movie at MoviesUnlimited.com.

Available for Purchase or Pre-Order on DVD

Find your movies at MoviesUnlimited.com.

16 Blocks [DVD](2006) DVD

16 Blocks (Widescreen Version) [DVD](2006) DVD


Related Products from Amazon.com


VHS
DVD
Book
Mos Def FilmBook
Music CD
Related FilmDie Hard TrilogyBruce Willis on TV
Related FilmRelated Film
Related Movie

No comments: