Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest [2]





Click a Poster to Purchase

Get Showtimes...
Fandango - Movie Tickets Online

Review #177 of 365
Film: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest [PG-13] 150 minutes
WIP™ Scale: (1st review $14.25 + 2nd review $13.50 =$13.75)
Where Viewed: Century 16 Belmar, Lakewood, CO
When 2nd Seen: 8 July 2006
Time: 8:50 p.m.
Review Dedicated to: Patch and Bruiser of Denver, CO
Soundtrack: Sample and Download the Hans Zimmer soundtrack from Hans Zimmer - Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture)
Official Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Merchandise: Shop at Disneyshopping.com for great toys and collectibles


Click for 'Review Lite' [a 150-word review of this film]

Note: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was reviewed in three parts each day the weekend it came out. Part 1 covered the whole movie stem to stern, Part 2 focused on Johnny Depp's performance as Captain Jack Sparrow and a bit on his career and contributions to the profession, and Part 3 narrowed in on the special effects and technology.

Part 2 of 3
Yesterday's review alluded a bit to a problem with Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest when it came to Johnny Depp and his portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow. Allow me now, please, to get down to that problem.

Before I do that, though, I would like to take you for a bit of a walk down the plank of Mr. Depp's career. When I was a kid in high school, and yes, this will carbon-date me, I first remember Johnny Depp as the really cool, sort of a punk kid cop from the brand new Fox network show, 21 Jump Street. I doubt really most people would even remember this show were it not for the fact that it launched the career of a guy who as gone on to become one of the most understated superstar actors of our present time. There is no other actor alive, though maybe Russell Crowe comes sort of close, who has played such an eclectic mix of characters over the past 20 years, kept his nose clean, managed to keep the press out of his personal life, and continued to surprise and delight with each and every role he chooses. And, of course, there have been some very big risks along the way that he just sort of thumbed his nose at anyone who dared cast a stone at his choices. In my opinion, he really should be thought of as one of the greatest actors of his generation. Just think about this list for a minute or two: Glen Lantz, Private Gator Lerner, Wade "Cry-Baby" Walker, Edward Scissorhands, Sam, Gilbert Grape, Ed Wood, Don Juan, William Blake, Gene Watson, Donnie Brasco/Joseph D. 'Joe' Pistone, Raoul Duke, Dean Corso, Commander Spencer Armacost, Constable Ichabod Crane, Roux, George Jung, Inspector Frederick Abberline, Captain Jack Sparrow, Sands, Mort Rainey, Sir James Matthew Barrie, John Wilmot a.k.a. the Earl of Rochester, Willy Wonka, Victor Van Dort, and Captain Jack Sparrow again. Let me assist now with some movie titles for the ones not as easy to figure out: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), Platoon (1986), Cry-Baby (1990), Edward Scissorhands (1990), Benny & Joon (1993), What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993), Ed Wood (1994), Don Juan DeMarco (1995), Dead Man (1995), Nick of Time (1995), Donnie Brasco (1997), Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998), The Ninth Gate (1999), The Astronaut's Wife (1999), Sleepy Hollow (1999), Chocolat (2000), Blow (2001), From Hell (2001), Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003), Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003), Secret Window (2004), Finding Neverland (2004), The Libertine (2006), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), Corpse Bride (2005) (voice), and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006). When you look at this body of work and the quality of his performances, and his lack of an Academy Award® (he has two nominations: one for PoC and one for Finding Neverland), well, you just have to scratch your head. When you think of the diversity of these oddball characters every single one of them and the versatility required to play every single one of them so convincingly, mustn't you agree that he really is, as I wrote before, one of the greatest actors of his generation and, indeed, our present times? Well, count me as a true fan of his work. I definitely rank him at the top of his profession.

"… the character of Jack Sparrow is just overdone this time around."
With that said, I hope it will soften the blow a bit for what I am about to say. Keep in mind, that I thought he was as amazing as ever when he played Jack Sparrow in PoC I. Therefore, when I say that something was off in his performance this time around, my remarks are tempered. And it took a second time of seeing the film to really get a handle on what is wrong. And, unfortunately, I think this must knock a bit off the W.I.P. Scale™--I apologize, I knew this was coming, and I should have warned you better sooner. Believe me, it's not a huge thing. It's just that this go round, he really, really overplays Captain Jack. Now, I know that Captain Jack is an archetype, a caricature of a character reportedly modeled by Mr. Depp on Keith Richardson. And, in the first PoC film, I loved it. It was hilarious. However, in PoC II, it is too much at times. His running from trouble with his hands held high in an almost stately fashion, his mumbling or slurring the ends of lines as if nearly always intoxicated, his quick and wispy mannerisms, well, they nearly got old by the end of the film. Did I mention the film is 2.5 hours long? Did I mention that theatres seem to be taking even more advantage of the captive audiences and showing double the number of previews as usual? Did I mention that many theatres were so grossly unprepared for this weekend's opening that between concession lines, theatre lines, and theatre exit time, this movie-going experience lasted nearly three hours? Well, if, by the end, Captain Jack Sparrow starts to get a little on your nerves, don't be surprised. In fact and indeed, I started to hope the Captain wouldn't be around for the third film. I might get my wish. Anyway, I don't know why this happened. I don't know if this was intentional or unintentional. All I know is that Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is the first blockbuster movie of this length I've seen in a long time that I kept wondering, "When is this going to end," and I attribute much of this feeling to the fact that the character of Jack Sparrow is just overdone this time around. This definitely made me feel a bit less of an enthusiastic supporter for the film. Of course, I still thought it was great and all. I still think Johnny Depp is one of the greatest actors of our time. I just have no idea how he let this performance get so far out of control. In any case, you'll see me first in line for the final chapter nonetheless.


Related Products from Amazon.com
Movies Starring: Johnny DeppOrlando BloomKeira Knightley
Movies Directed by: Gore Verbinski
Pirates of the Caribbean ToysPirates of the Caribbean Apparel & AccessoriesPirates of the Caribbean BooksPirates of the Caribbean Computer and Video Games
The Book
CD Soundtrack
DVD
VHS
The Cereal
Board Game

Review-lite [150-word cap]
Who would have thought the Disneyland ride, "Pirates of the Caribbean" would spawn a trilogy of fantastic films? [That's right, trilogy! Production for Pirates 3 has already begun.] Director Gore Verbinski took this script steeped from stem to stern with mythology of Pirates and created an historically interesting film with great characters, actors, story, and special effects. You are bound to entertained. The film begins just as Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) and Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) are about to marry. They are arrested and ultimately blackmailed into seeking out Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp). Meanwhile, Jack has stumbled across new trouble of his own as Davy Jones (Bill Nighy) is after his very soul. Only unlocking the Dead Man's Chest can save him and reunite Swann and Turner. Dead Man's Chest will be THE hit of the summer appealing to audiences of all ages with a frolicking, daring, Jolly Roger spirit.

No comments: