Annapolis



Click to Purchase this Poster

Starring:
James Franco
James Franco
Buy this Photo at AllPosters.com


Review #17 of 365
Film: Annapolis [PG-13] 108 minutes
WIP: $6.00
When 1st Seen: 27 January 2006
Where Viewed: AMC Theatres Pacific Place 11
Time: 5:15 p.m.
Review Dedicated to: Christopher J. of Chicago, IL

Brian Tyler - Annapolis
purchase
DVD
purchase
soundtrack


I went into the theater with high expectations (oops, I shouldn’t have watched the trailer for this film, but I couldn’t help it). You have James Franco (most recently of Tristan & Isolde (click for my review) and Tyrese Gibson facing off in Naval Academy boxing. What could be better than that as a premise for a great Friday afternoon at the movies? As the film unfolded, however, I kept asking myself, “Hmm, where have I seen that before? Was that an episode of ‘JAG’? Was that straight out of An Officer and a Gentleman? Or was it G.I. Jane?”, and hmm, I just thought of this, but, the bar seen at the beginning is even vaguely reminiscent of the one in…hmm…Top Gun? After a while, a word came to mind that unfortunately must be used to describe this film, and that is ‘derivative’ or maybe ‘recycled’. In neither case, that is that a compliment. Well, and not to mention the plot is somewhat ‘formulaic’. Alright, so the movie is completely unoriginal in just about every way. Was there anything to like about it? I loved the scenery of the Naval Academy. I liked the insider’s look at the Academy. I am not sure how much, if at all, it bears any resemblance to the truth, but I enjoyed that part regardless. James Franco plays another good guy at heart. Some unexpected things happen—can’t give these away without ruining the few surprises in a mostly recycled, derivative, formulaic film.

All in all, I would say, if you want to see a good boxing movie, see Million Dollar Baby; if you want to see a good scrappy kid overcome a maniacal drill sergeant/superior officer, see Louis Gossett Jr. in An Officer and a Gentleman; if you want to see new military recruits doing pushups in the rain, see G.I. Jane; if you want to see James Franco in a really good movie, see Spiderman 2 or Tristan & Isolde; and if you want to see a really great movie about intrigue in the military see A Few Good Men. You are probably starting to get my point. Annapolis is a disappointing film. It tries to be original at times, but just doesn’t cut out of the mold. I apologize, I had really wanted it to be good, but it just wasn’t.

Conviction



This still photo and many others now available. Click to be directed to this still phoot and other items from the film ready for purchase.


Now Available for Purchase on DVD

United States Naval Academy: 150 Years In Annapolis [VHS] VHS
Annapolis [DVD] (2006) DVD
Annapolis (Widescreen Version) [DVD] (2006) DVD

Sound Track
DVD
VHS
Related VHS
Related DVD
Related DVD

No comments: