Annapolis [2]



Click Poster to Purchase



Starring:

Review #37 of 365
Film: Annapolis [2] [PG-13] 108 minutes
WIP: 1st $6.00 + 2nd $5.50 = $5.75
When 2nd Seen: 16 February 2006
Where Viewed: Regal Cinemas Alamo Quarry 14, San Antonio, TX
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Review Dedicated To: Chay G. of Morden, MB

Brian Tyler - Annapolis
purchase
DVD
purchase
soundtrack




Due to circumstances beyond my control…lack of access to a film I had not already seen and reviewed. I saw Annapolis for the second time today. When this occasionally must happen here are the rules. First, the movie will get a new W.I.P. score. This will be averaged with any previously recorded score(s). Both reviews will be listed (the second review will be labeled [2]). The second review may be dedicated to a new individual. The averaged W.I.P. will be listed in the W.I.P. scale with an ‘*’. Now, on to the review.

As you can see, I kept the W.I.P. the same. Why? Well, this time around I noticed that the film borrows from a couple more films than I failed to notice the first time around (last time I mentioned G.I. Jane, An Officer and a Gentleman, and Episodes of JAG, this time I can also mention All the Right Moves, Top Gun, and The Outsiders). Also, I paid a bit more attention to details and the minor actors’ whose work was pretty good. They do deserve a bit more credit than originally awarded. They weren’t given a lot to do, and they really made the most of it. Consider, for example, Donnie Wahlberg who plays Lt. Cmdr. Burton and actually hand picks Jake Huard for the Academy. This is a bit of an enigmatic performance for Mr. Wahlberg as his character is not front and center. It was refreshing to see him face this sort of role. Meanwhile, the cast of characters that make up his Jake’s roommates: Vicellous Reon Shannon played the ebullient, nearly always friendly, great first shipmate for Jake. As for the other two roommates, we have Loo (Roger Fan)—the go getter who knows everything and Estrada (Wilmer Calderon). These three make up the cluster that helps keep Jake engaged and enrolled in the pristine Naval Academy. So, for this, the film deserves a bit of a pump up in W.I.P. Which immediately has to be knocked right back down a bit further because of the reliance on stereotyped characterizations of people. Women as weak, overweight people as incapable of self-control, certain races of people as automatic leaders or as automatic followers, people of Asian descent as good at math, etc. This was unnecessary and, frankly, it getting tiresome in films of the new millennium. The time has come to get over the stereotypes of the past, recognize and celebrate the diversity of the human spirit to overcome fear and weakness, and write films that capture the imagination, tell great stories, and advance the body of artistry in which film resides. Sure, I am asking a lot. We do need, I suppose some fluff, but there is no reason the fluff cannot be better than this.

Conviction



This still photo and many others now available. Click to be directed to this still phoot and other items from the film ready for purchase.


Now Available for Purchase on DVD

United States Naval Academy: 150 Years In Annapolis [VHS] VHS
Annapolis [DVD] (2006) DVD
Annapolis (Widescreen Version) [DVD] (2006) DVD

Sound Track
DVD
VHS
Related VHS
Related DVD
Related DVD

No comments: