Wolf Creek



Click Poster to Purchase


Review #42 of 365
Film: Wolf Creek [R] 95 minutes
WIP: $5.00
When 1st Seen: 21 February 2006
Where Viewed: Westminster 5, Westminster, CO
Time: 9:35 p.m.
Review Dedicated to: Anders D. of Plymouth, MN

Francois Tetaz - Wolf Creek (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
purchase
DVD
purchase
soundtrack




This is a tough film to review. Released at the tail end of December and quickly moved off the map into second run movie houses, most people will probably not even get a glimpse of this until DVD time—which should be fairly soon. In any case, here’s my story. First, I don’t like to go to see horror films alone, late at night, in small, second run movie theaters in the middle of mall parking lots. However, in this case, I got in for an astounding $6.75 for ticket, medium soft drink, and medium popcorn. No, I’m not kidding! So, if my W.I.P. score seems too high this might be why. Second, there were very few, let’s say around 5 other people in the theater. I sat in the back row—I don’t relish the idea of creepy crawly things being able to be in the row behind me at a horror flick. The film starts off paying homage to some other horror films including a slight nod to the Blair Witch Project. This movie may have been terrible, but it was also darn frightening. I would say it was significantly better than Hostel, though there is some similarity. In this case, we have three young people on a trip across Australia with the goal being to reach Darwin, AU. Along the way, they stop to look at the Wolf Creek crater, supposedly the largest crater visible on land created by a meteorite impact. This crater, by the way, is real. Liz Hunter (Cassandra Magrath), Kristy Earl (Kestie Morassi) and Ben Mitchell (Nathan Phillips) make up the triad of explorers whom, upon return from their hike to and from the crater, find that their car no longer starts and their watch batteries have all stopped. Eeeerie stuff, right? Oh, and it has been rainy all day. Not to worry, however, as is bound to happen in such situations, a maniacal killer is bound to find you soon in the middle of nowheresville and offer to help you fix your car. Simultaneously, we forget everything common sense tells us, throw caution to the wind, talk to strangers, and hop in the car with them. Needless to say, all sorts of mayhem ensue. Wolf Creek, as I said, is quite scary and harrowing. For a large part of it, there is a heroine who does her best to help her friends which was novel. And, yet, even though the story theoretically was based on true events, there is still a been there done that sort of a feel to it. Technically, I don’t like horror films when there is no justification supplied for why the horror is occurring. Why is the homicidal maniac so maniacal? Don’t expect any answers in this film. Unfortunately, for Wolf Creek’s writer/director, Greg McLean, the concept, the ideas, and the scary stuff have all been done before. The third and final part of my tale…well, this movie had me so freaked out that when I exited the theater only to find I had left my car unlocked in the lot, I had to check it thoroughly from outside before felling safe enough to get in and drive home.

300x250 2MM



This poster and others now available.
Click to be directed to this poster and other items from
the film ready for purchase.


Now Available for Purchase on DVD

Wolf Creek [DVD](2005) DVD
Wolf Creek (Unrated Version) [DVD](2005) DVD

No comments: